At last I'm organised to take part in Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day at May Dreams Gardens. Thank you Carol, and everyone who contributes. I hope it's alright to have done this a little early as the forecast for the next few days isn't very good. So here's what's flowering in my garden in Canberra, Australia.
Orange pigface.
Sage.
Salvia Sierra Pink.
Variegated Weigela.
Lamium.
Convolvulus.
Brachyscome multifida.
Tetratheca.
Hebe.
Bottlebrushes.
Lychnis.
Oops, and here's the link!















Welcome to GBBD. I've only been posting for a few months and am finding it very interesting. I imagine next month will see a fair amount of snow on the gardens in the north.
ReplyDeleteDespite being just across the ditch I have only the pink Lamium in common with your images - although I didn't post it in mine.
Sorry about the League.
Cheers
I was in Canberra last weekend visiting family. The gardens are looking lovely. It's the greenest I've seen it in such a long time.
ReplyDeleteLovely GBBD post! Your Bottlebrushes are fantastic ... I really love the bright pink! Love your Hebe too ... I wish I could grow that up here in the north, but alas, not to be! The Tetratheca is a new one for me ... that looks like a fabulous groundcover ... don't suppose it would flourish in the northern tropics?
ReplyDeleteHi Terry. I love New Zealand, hope to visit again one day.
ReplyDeleteHi Missy, I was just reading today that we've had the most rain for eleven years. I have photos of Canberra on my other blog if you're interested.
Hi Bernie. I bought the tetratheca at Bunnings a couple of years ago. I'd never heard of it before. I'm sorry, I think this shows it wouldn't grow in your part of Australia?
http://www.paintboxplants.com.au/view_plant.asp?plant_id=32
Greetings from the other side of the globe! Thank you for visiting my blog too. Isn't it marvellous to be able to see each others' gardens from such a long distance? Bottlebrushes don't do well here which is a big disappointment. I look forward to following your blog in future.
ReplyDeleteY
Hi Yvonne. It certainly is marvellous. How did it take me so long to discover the world of garden blogging?
ReplyDeleteHi Mac, you have beautiful flowers blooming in your garden. I love your Hebe and Bottlebrush!
ReplyDeleteI was just introduced to bottle brushes this year. They are an interesting plant. Your pictures are great. Thanks for visiting my blog.
ReplyDeleteLovely!! It's folks like you, on the other side of the globe, that will get me through winter here without flowers. When it's cold and snowy here, I depend on images of the lovely gardens in Australia, and I am thrilled to find yours.
ReplyDeleteConnie
Hi p3chandan, Redneck Rosarian and Connie. Thank you so much for leaving comments.
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting North Florida. You have some great blooms today. Your orange pig face looks very similar to something we call Ice Plant, only it has pink blooms.
ReplyDeleteI have never seen a pink bottlebrush. Yours is very pretty.
ReplyDeleteYou have beautiful blooms today. So good to have you joining GBBD too. Your bottlebrushes are really cute.
ReplyDeleteHi Autumn Belle, Lotusleaf and Darla, thank you for visiting.
ReplyDeleteLotusleaf, there are bottlebrushes in all sorts of red/pink/maroon shades, and also cream/yellow/greens. But in my experience the red ones seem to be the longest flowering. I wish I could remember exactly what those plants were so I could label them accurately (callistemon or melaleuca).
Darla, I think my pigface is a mesembryanthemum in which case it is the same as your ice plant. We used to have a pink one years ago. The orange one doesn't seem to flower nearly as much.
Thanks for sharing your spring with us as we go into winter! I've never seen pink bottle brushes before, I've jsut planted a red one which should do well in my free draining soil as long as the temperatures aren't too low. Christina
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful and diverse contribution of blooms for Bloom Day. Welcome!
ReplyDeleteDenise (agrowingobsession.com)
Hi Mac,
ReplyDeleteThanks for being the first to comment on my GBBD post, and welcome to GBBD!
You have lots of nice pinks, and other colors, too. I grow a few of the plants you have, like lamium, but most I'm not familiar with. I love those bottle brush blooms!
Lovely...what are the "bottlebrushes", they are super-charming!
ReplyDeleteHi Christina, Denise, Sue and Scott, thanks for visiting.
ReplyDeleteScott, callistemons and melaleucas are the main plants that are known as bottlebrushes. They seem to be attracting a bit of attention so I might do a post sometime just about bottlebrushes. We have others, some of which I know the precise names of, but they aren't flowering yet.
What lovely plants you have! And I do see some familiar faces there even though we are widely separated by geography. Bottlebrushes, for example, are popular in gardens here in Southeast Texas, as well.
ReplyDeleteHi Birdwoman, thank you for leaving a comment. It's always interesting to see where plants have migrated to.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely GBBD post! I love the hebe. Birdwoman and I both garden in the Gulf Coast area of the southeast US and lots of Australian plants do well here, if we can keep them from drowning. Maybe the hebe would too!
ReplyDeleteHi Elizabeth, thanks for your comment. There's a huge variety of hebes, which are actually New Zealand plants but very popular in Australia. I once came across a website devoted just to them. I've had mixed success, some are extremely hardy but a few have really struggled in summer.
ReplyDeleteFine atmosphere of spring - nearly feel the scents of your garden! The trident maple is marvellous in your previous post. I think I'm going to get one soon. Eszter
ReplyDeleteHi Eszter, thank you for visiting. The trident maple is a lovely tree, and it turns a nice red in autumn.
ReplyDeleteHi Mac, You do have a lot of beautiful blooms indeed....and very 'organized' too. :) Being in the tropics, I do have some blooms too but decided to show colorful cactus for a change.
ReplyDeleteHi One, I loved seeing your cactus.
ReplyDeleteLove the Hebe and the bottlebrushes! I had no idea they came in any other color than red. Really beautiful stuff in your garden.
ReplyDeleteHi Amy, thanks for your comment.
ReplyDeleteHi, Mac, thanks for visiting PITV today. Some of the plants you featured are never seen in our Florida gardens, like hebe and lamium and weigela. Bottlebrush, however, is one of our favorite Aussie imports and very common in my neck of the woods.
ReplyDeleteHi Floridagirl, thanks for your comment. So interesting to compare what everyone is growing isn't it.
ReplyDeleteHi Mac,
ReplyDeleteI'm sure it's no prob posting your GBBD a little early, there are always people posting early/late :)
Lovely photos, it must be so nice moving into Spring and summer, rather than winter! Oh well, only another few months for me to wait :)
Cool plants from another place! Always fun to see what's growing on the other side of the earth...
ReplyDeleteHi Mac- thanks for your comment on my blog. It is nice to see some sunny garden photos. I suppose it must be late spring in Australia.
ReplyDeleteHi from yesterday over in the US SW! Your blooms and species diversity in the garden are amazing.
ReplyDeleteAs I start to scan both of your blogs, your scenes are equally amazing! Can't wait to see more...
Hi, Mac - thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I love the weigela - it's one of the plants on my wish list. I have Lamium though mine is yellow. I really enjoy seeing what's blooming on the other side of thw world.
ReplyDeleteI love bottlebrush plants but after last years harsh winter there are few around here now. I grow lamiums,hebes, lychnis and that same weigela in my garden aswell. So good to see what you have in flower in the first few weeks of your summer. Thankyou so much for your visit yesterday.
ReplyDeleteYour flowers are just lovely, especially the bottle brushes! Thanks for sharing the pictures, and for visiting my garden.
ReplyDeleteI love seeing your flowers and what's blooming there right now. It looks like it's now spring, maybe early summer?? So many plants in common and yet so many new-to-me ones. I looked at some of the rest of your blog and just love the photo of your "common" bird, the crested pigeon. Would love to see one of those one day!
ReplyDeleteLovely blooms Mac! I especially love the Bottlebrushes. ;>)
ReplyDeleteHello! Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment! I love the diversity of plants in your garden. How wonderful that you have so many in bloom right now.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great garden. So fun to see blooms across the world. So fun to see you are growing lamium the same as I (across worlds)! Love the bottle brush. I am also very partial to orange so love the pigface. Let's face it, I am an addict. I love them all. After hebe, I said jebe, but love the form of the leaves and blooms. Very fun visiting.
ReplyDeleteHi Mac, Thanks for stopping by the whimsical gardener yesterday for GBBD. I'm glad you've joined in. Your post is beautiful - so nice to see so much blooming in your garden as ours is winding down. The Hebe is a plant I'm not familiar with - it's gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteThank you all for your comments. I've really enjoyed my first Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day.
ReplyDeleteWell, bloom day is a state of mind, and it's not over yet. I'm only able to have a look around today, and might visit a few more blogs on the weekend. Bottlebrush, eh? Yes, I really like that one as well.
ReplyDeleteHi Town Mouse, thanks for visiting.
ReplyDeleteMy, what a lot you've got going on in your garden-very pretty. Poor orange pigface-seems like it deserves a better name than that! ;)
ReplyDeleteHi Dreamybee, thanks for visiting. I think the pigface is a mesembryanthemum :-)
ReplyDeleteMac, thanks for visiting and saying hello. It's always good to "meet" a fellow Aussie :)
ReplyDeleteYour garden is looking lush and colourful, obviously enjoying all that life-giving rain you've had this spring. How lovely to see all those wonderful Australian plants, most of which my mother used to grow in her gardens (in Palm Beach and Port Stephens, NSW). She always had lots of Pigface. The pink was my favourite. Your Bottlebrushes are gorgeous!
I have a very close friend in Canberra who blogs about her garden. Check out her link on my sidebar: "A Growing Delight". You and "Alice" might live quite close to each other. She grows Hellebores...which means you could too!
Hi Kerri. I found A Growing Delight a little while ago (and Ben Cruachan which is also on your list). I've been meaning to say hello to Alice, it just feels a little strange to do so to someone who may indeed be just around the corner.
ReplyDeleteOh, I have never heard of Orange Pig Face, but I really like the name. Thanks for stopping by by my Bloom Day post recently.
ReplyDeleteAs it turned out with one of your plants, the different names can get confusing. I really don't see the pig resemblance myself, but I believe the plant is a mesembryanthemum, also known as ice plant, and googling leads to other names as well :-)
ReplyDeleteDear Mac, You have such beautiful blooms! Makes me look forward to spring and another gardening year. Pam
ReplyDeleteHi Pam. Thanks for visiting. Things are changing so fast. The pink bottlebrush are already faded, they don't last long and I was lucky they made it just in time for bloom day. I'm wondering when to post again as I'm not sure what will still be blooming next month. Keeping a blog is going to be a good way to keep track.
ReplyDeletewow! Love all the bottlebrushes!
ReplyDeleteHi Wendy. Thanks for visiting.
ReplyDeleteYou have a lovely colour palette.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your visit to my blog.
Hi Linda, thanks for visiting and for your kind comment.
ReplyDeleteI love your Bottlebrushes - one of my favourite memories of my trips to Australia.
ReplyDeleteSadly my garden doesn't have the right soil for them and growing them in a pot just isn't the same.
Thanks for your visit over at mine - nice to see you!
Thanks for visiting. You have me wondering now what soil is recommended for them.
ReplyDeleteI finally found your url again. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I am adding your blog to my sidebar so you won't get lost again. Lovely GBBD photos, too.
ReplyDelete