Saturday, May 14, 2011

Late Autumn Colour, Early Winter Weather

We've had the earliest frosty spell in 39 years and yesterday snow was reported in the mountains near us. Last night was -3℃ 26℉ apparent temp -8℃ 17℉ and today's maximum was 12℃ 53℉ apparent temp 5℃  41℉.

Most of the trees are well on their way to being bare. Only the Japanese Maple is still putting on a real show.


The nandinas, while not a deciduous plant, are putting on a show to rival the autumn trees.


Amazingly there are flowers in the garden, the salvias are still flowering and some of the hebes and bottlebrushes have produced a smattering of new blooms.



Over winter I'll contemplate what to do with a few unfinished parts of the garden.


I'll be linking this post to Cottage Flora Thursday at Fishtail Cottage and checking out what everyone else has to share.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking your post to Cottage Flora Thursday's so i could follow you back! Beautiful garden (& i agree that this weather has been crazy) xoox, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm,love the quality of the autumn light in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up to Cottage Flora Thursday...xoxo, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Autumn trees are really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my corner of Katy, Mac! Just reading about your temps makes me feel cooler ... it's 93 here today. Summer has arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Things are still looking pretty there. So, when will your spring come? I hope the time doesn't go too fast here, because I'm thinking our summer will be about over then.

    One of the things you can think about and look into this winter are plants for your caterpillars. I am so excited to see mine getting bigger. Usually, when I see some, I don't see them next time I look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our spring officially starts on 1 September, and winter officially starts next Wednesday.
    It was -1℃ 30℉ last night and now at lunchtime it's 11℃ 51℉.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, it is now winter where you are. How cold will it get at the coldest? So you get much snow?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sue. The coldest we get at night in Celsius is minus 7 but around minus 3 is more typical. I guess a really cold day is under 10. In Fahrenheit that's 19 but more typically around 26 and during the day under 50. Today was 12 and it's now minus 2, or in Fahrenheit 53, now 28. (Sorry, I'm still trying to work out how best to write temperatures so it's both easily understandable to everyone and easily readable.)

    We see snow on the mountains to the south every winter but we don't really get snow down here. There are regular reports of snow somewhere in the suburbs but it melts as soon as it hits the ground. I remember a couple of times in the 1980's we had light snow that lasted for hours. Once in the 1960's there was a heavier fall that lasted two or three days. It's one of the vivid memories of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The salvia is beautiful. I'm glad it blooms so long for you. Looks like that little pathway with the edging will be a wonderful winter project for you!

    Thanks so much for visiting me, in my Canadian garden!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete

I've removed word verification to make it easier for visitors to say hi. It would be lovely to know there's someone out there apart from the mystery websites.