Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Hebe Blue Gem

Since the Hebes are flowering at the moment I thought I'd do a post about one of them. 

Hebe Blue Gem is one of the old varieties, I think we've had them in each garden we've owned so that's going back a long time. We originally planted two here, the plain one and a variegated one which soon reverted to green. We removed that one because it was right beside the plain one so it looked like a half-hearted attempt to grow a formal row. The original plain one is now about two metres wide and over a metre tall (six and a half feet by about four  feet). I give it a light trim once in a while to keep it looking neat. The flowers are purplish blue and seem to vary with the light. Hebes are easy to grow from cuttings. In fact we now have a new plant accidentally propagated by layering. I found it while doing some pruning a few years ago. It had grown from a low branch that had become covered in mulch. When I saw how much of a root system it had developed I thought it was worth keeping and since I had an empty space elsewhere in that garden bed I transplanted it there. So here are some photos of the original hebe and one photo of the new one.










1 comment:

  1. How beautiful. I just love the blooms on your Hebe. I wish I could grow them here. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete

I've removed word verification to make it easier for visitors to say hi. It would be lovely to know there's someone out there apart from the mystery websites.