Monday, March 19, 2012

Sorry to Sulk But Summer Sort of Sucked

Cooler and wetter than average. I was surprised though when I checked the Bureau of Meteorology website that it wasn't all that much cooler and while rainfall was well above average the previous summer had been even wetter. Maybe we didn't care so much right after the drought? Maybe there was more rain but fewer cloudy days? It sure seemed like it was grey almost all the time.

And then autumn began with record breaking rains. Canberra's monthly average for March was passed on the first day and records were being broken all over the state. Almost three weeks later floodwaters are still moving down the rivers.

I suppose I should do a little garden update. Hubby has been mowing every chance he gets but other than that we haven't done much. So much for my plan to have the garden finished by the end of last year and the house organised by the end of summer. Still, it's so nice to have a lovely green lawn again after all these years.

The moss that has appeared is pretty.


The garden is full of leaf-curling spiders.


I noticed a self-seeded something, I'm guessing a crepe myrtle?


Pumpkins came up in the old veggie patch. 
Some are butternuts which we used to grow but I don't know about these.

 
The pink bottlebrush is flowering again.


4 comments:

  1. It's been wet here too. No floods like last year but days on end of rainy weather. Hopefully it's soaking deep into the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool and unsettled here since early October...weird how the weather is getting "stuck" in one pattern, to a fault...a weather rut. I was just thrilled for 7 days straight of average or even warmer than average...but the dust storms today brought it all to an end.

    Great plant growth there as you enter Autumn. (I bet that is a volunteer crepe myrtle, leaves too wide to be a pomegranate)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missy, I hope the recent really bad weather in Queensland didn't affect you.
    Desert Dweller, I don't know why it took me a while to figure out what it might be, there's a crepe myrtle only a few metres away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Bottle brush is so pretty. Sorry to hear that your summer has bad been a wet one. Weather is to the extremes everywhere it seems. Have a terrific weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I've removed word verification to make it easier for visitors to say hi. It would be lovely to know there's someone out there apart from the mystery websites.