This month's heat and wind has taken its toll on the garden. Friday was the hottest January day in Canberra on record, and the second hottest overall, 41.6℃ 106.8℉.
I think when it cools down I'll move the variegated Solomons Seal to a more sheltered location, even the short period of direct sun seems too much for it. The lawn is dry and Hubby is talking about paving. The silk trees are flowering and looking reasonably healthy but dropping a lot of dried out fronds.
The coming week the forecast is for rain. I hope so, especially for the areas of Australia where the battle to put out the bushfires is still going.


It has been so hot, hasn't it? My veggies are struggling through those super-hot days (45.7C in Sydney last Friday). Hopefully there will be some rain soon.
ReplyDeleteI've heard on the news that in Australia the heat beat the record. 36C was the highest temperature I've ever felt so far. I can't really imagine the heat you've felt!
ReplyDeleteThanks for popping in to my blog!
I'll be visiting your blog :)
Your Solomon's Seal will love all the shade it can get! My prettiest patch is in a spot with full shade. The more shade it gets, the better the variegation and leaf color. :o)
ReplyDeleteI hope you get some rain. Bushfires do not sound like a good thing to battle. And I hope it cools off a bit for you. There's nothing more draining to the garden or the gardener than intense heat!
ReplyDeleteThe first Solomon's Seal I saw (non-variegated though) was in a fairly exposed spot so I was wary of giving mine too much shade. I'll definitely move it. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteWe got some welcome rain. Sadly some areas have gotten much more rain than needed.