Friday, June 15, 2012

Garden Bloggers (Not Really) Bloom(ing) Day in Winter

Not a whole lot of blooming but I thought I'd take the opportunity to do a garden update.

Providing the brightest colour in the garden now are the berberis which we planted last year. Catching sight of them through the window makes me wish I had room for more, the colour is just so warm and cheery.


In the background you might have noticed seed pods, many many seed pods. They're from the silk trees (albizia julibrissin, also know as mimosa). Hubby has been up a ladder cutting them off to prevent them sprouting all over the place and hasn't collected them all up yet.


And up in the back corner we have blooms! Much to my surprise the marigolds are still blooming.


I am linking this post here http://www.seepferds-garten.blogspot.de/2012/06/blogger-bluten-im-juni-20012.html

10 comments:

  1. It has to be tough on bloom days when the seasons are swapped. But come winter here, your garden is bursting with color in our sea of gray and white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our winters don't come with frost heave and ice storms (things I had never heard of until I got on the internet) and we haven't had a sea of white in this city since the mid 60's, so I can't complain too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always grateful for the flowers that just hang in there and refuse to stop blooming. I love how stalwart and cheerful your marigolds are. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the first time I've grown them. I'm surprised, we've been having freezing nights, they seem so incongruous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Berberis seems like good value wherever it's grown in the world. Your exotic seed pods would make excellent Christmas decorations, sprayed gold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Albizzia - eegads, I've seen sprouts of them near lawns here, actually choke out native yuccas. I think every 5th house nearby has one! Nice for the marigolds - I take it no frost or just a light frost, so far?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I missed Bloom Day this month - too much work and too little garden time. John is heading your way soon to visit the grandchildren so I've been checking the temps. I think those marigolds must be very hardy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for visiting my little blog!!
    i like the warm colours of the berberis.
    greetings from germany,
    regina
    www.reginassimplelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the seedpods of winter. They are always so beautiful, so decorative. Enjoy your winter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is great to see your garden still blooming! The change of seasons always take a big toll in my garden, I usually have to replant a couple of plots

    ReplyDelete

I've removed word verification to make it easier for visitors to say hi. It would be lovely to know there's someone out there apart from the mystery websites.