We've all had colds over the past week but Hubby is feeling better so he headed out to pick up those pesky seed pods from my previous post. When I realised he had decided to have a go at some major tree pruning as well I grabbed the camera and a warm jumper and went out quickly to do an update.
With the tree branches bare, it's easier to notice intriguing things like this cocoon.
I wonder what hatched out of it?
The diosma has a surprising number of flowers for an out of peak season flowering.
The first pruning task was a crepe myrtle.
Here's how it looked at the end of April.
Hubby took off the very low branch on the right.
Then he tackled the front branch of the Chinese pistachio. This is something I thought should have been done when the tree was much younger, but it wasn't until an arborist commented on the potential problems of the two branches forking in that way that he saw the need to do something about it. I think this is the largest branch we've ever removed from a tree.
Job done.
Then I went to see how my marigolds are doing and found my path blocked by this.
I couldn't get closer to have a good look at them but they are definitely showing signs of being affected by the sub-zero temperatures now.
Speaking of the weather, these are our recent temperatures.
Night before last
-3℃ apparent temp -6℃
26℉ apparent temp 21℉
Yesterday
14℃ apparent temp 10℃
57℉ apparent temp 50℉
Last night
-1℃ apparent temp -3℃
30℉ apparent temp 26℉
Today
9℃ apparent temp 8℃
48℉ apparent temp 46℉









We used to have winters like that, with occasional spells to 5-10F, but we appear to be in a cold phase, contrary to what our US pop media tells everyone to think. I like the way your winter looks...and especially nice to see an important tree pruning task tackled before it's too late. (most pruning is either too much or not at all...glad for arborists!)
ReplyDeleteWow, it's cold in Canberra...guess that's why you get all of that beautiful autumn colour that Sydney misses out on. Isn't that cocoon beautiful?!
ReplyDelete