Wednesday, June 6, 2012

An Unusual Bird Sighting

In the last week of autumn the highlight of the garden was the Japanese Maple.


Then I noticed a very small bird flitting around in the birches.


This is the best photo I managed to get, cropped and enlarged.


I was amazed to see this bird fly down to a salvia and feed from it while hovering almost like a hummingbird. We don't have hummingbirds in Australia so that was not something I ever expected to see. I did some research and believe the bird is an Eastern Spinebill, a variety of honeyeater. Very exciting sighting!

3 comments:

  1. Great photo for bird ID (I know how hard it is to get good photos of birds). Just in case you need confirmation...I agree that it is an Eastern Spinebill. Gorgeous little bird - it is hard to tell from the photo whether it is a male or female (male=black crown, female=grey crown). Your Japanese Maple is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, good to have confirmation. I wish I'd managed to get a pic of it at the salvia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful he/she is! Well spotted.

    ReplyDelete

I've removed word verification to make it easier for visitors to say hi. It would be lovely to know there's someone out there apart from the mystery websites.