Thursday, September 15, 2011

Not Exactly Blooming But...

the photinias are putting on a nice spring display.




This past winter in Canberra was the warmest on record, though nights were slightly colder than average. Rainfall was below average in June and July and above average in August.

My husband dug another hole last week and found another rock. This is a good size one (that's my foot to give a sense of scale), must find somewhere nice to put it.


While I was having a look in one of the shaded corners of the garden, adding to my To Do List and taking photographs to help with the planning, a little bird landed on the nearby bird bath.


And now I'm going to see what's blooming at Seepferds Garten.

14 comments:

  1. Hi from Niagara Falls (via a short trip to Germany) and a big happy GBBD to you. What a pleasure to revisit spring again. That little bird is a cutie too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad spring is coming your way! It's always so exciting to see winter depart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off... thanks for visiting my site.... I've enjoyed looking through yours! Larry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just saw vision of that enormous fire in Canberra! Were you affected by it at all? Those black fumes looked toxic!

    Lovely Photinia foliage display and what a lovely little bird!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mac,
    sorry, I´m late! Thank you so much for participate!
    Spring is such a nice time, enjoy it! The colour of the leaves is really nice!
    This morning I heard in the news about an accident in Canberra with toxic smoke from a burning chemical plant. Are you involved? I hope not!
    Wish you a nice weekend!
    Gesine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, we're okay, we're at the other end of town from the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What nice coloured foliage you have in your garden, there are some fine combinations. And the bird is very pretty. Great photos!

    Thanks for visiting my blog, and for commenting.

    Hope you are having a nice weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paterson's Curse is tiptoeing out, and starting to claim the fallow fields and the roadside verges - till the tractors and herbicide sprayers come out.

    The little white puffballs look like mimosa/acacia flowers, but very strange stem/leaves. An Australian native?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for dropping in on Central California Coast - where we also see Photinia growing happily. I'm not sure if it's invasive here but it is very pretty in spring. The Mediterranean part of Australia has similar growing conditions to California but I don't know what it's like in Canberra. We do see quite a lot of Australian native plants for sale around here. Grevillias and the like. Everything I know about Canberra I learned from Bill Bryson "In a sunburnt country" lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that rock! That's the problem if you live in suburbia like me - all the rocks are taken.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute little bird!! I wish the rocks I dug up were as useful and attractive as the one you found. Ours are just hardened clay that usually fall apart after you dig them up. If I want a rock that actually behaves like a rock, I have to go buy it!! Photinia grows here, too. It's commonly called red tips.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those colors look great! So good to see the seasons getting to your garden. I look forward to see more of your spring

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, Mac, thanks for making the long trek from Canberra to my corner of Katy! What a great shot of the bird ... do you know what it is? And I covet that rock!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm afraid I was a little lazy not tracking down a name for the bird. I've misplaced my bird book. But I had a feeling it's a white-eye and it turned out to be quite easy to confirm that it is in fact a silvereye or Zosterops lateralis "and belongs to a group of birds known as white-eyes".
    http://birdsinbackyards.net/species/Zosterops-lateralis

    ReplyDelete

I've removed word verification to make it easier for visitors to say hi. It would be lovely to know there's someone out there apart from the mystery websites.